Some Career Notes on the Past 2 Years
Since we’ve really kicked Crossroad Press into gear, and I’ve concentrated more of my writing on drawing my big, fictional universe into one entity – and promoting the original series work I’ve created, there has been an interesting shift and upswing. I have consolidated my sales numbers and earnings across all my many books for 2011 and 2012 and can present some findings.
1) So far in 2012 (which means through sales in July) I have already made almost twice what I did in 2011.
2) Series books sell better than stand-alone novels. Collections sell fairly steadily.
3) Attaching a cover by a famous artist can boost sales, but not as much as tying works together and being creative in how you present this in your marketing material.
4) There is absolutely NO WAY to tell what will, and what will not be the big seller – though you can sometimes guess.
One of my focuses this past year has been tying Hallowed Ground, Donovan DeChance, O.C.L.T., and many of my other works that take place in and around the few fictional settings I’ve created into a larger universe. This has helped me lead readers from one book and one series to the next, and has significantly impacted sales.
Tying in with other authors? Same effect. We published the very successful LOST THINGS by Melissa Scott and Jo Graham this year, tied in loosely to the O.C.L.T. series, and I have watched steady sales across the series during this debut.
It cannot be said enough – promotions that reach people who have never heard of you, do not attend conventions – or at least not the same ones you do – who had NO IDEA you existed…those are the promotions that bring big new sales numbers and spread you like a fictional plague. Repeated posts to the same boards, groups, newsletters, etc. can sustain a certain number of sales on new works, but do your already-in-print stuff no good at all.
The goal is to sustain growth. I’ll try to pop back with some figures as things progress and 2013 approaches. In the meantime, follow the link below to find all (or most) of my digital works. See if you don’t find something that appeals to you.
For the record…my top ten bestselling titles over the two year period, in order:
- Vintage Soul – Book 2 of the DeChance Chronicles
- The Parting – A Novel of the O.C.L.T.
- Heart of a Dragon – Book 1 of the DeChance Chronicles
- My Soul to Keep – Book III of the DeChance Chronicles
- Kali’s Tale – Book IV of the DeChance Chronicles
- The Call of Distant Shores – Lovecraftian Collection
- The Second Veil – Book II of the Tales of the Scattered Earth
- On the Third Day
- Ancient Eyes
- Deep Blue
FIND MY DIGITAL WORKS THROUGH THIS POST:
- Comments (0)
Fatal error: Cannot assign by reference to overloaded object in /home/bookwyrm/public_html/davidniallwilson.com/wp-content/themes/mystique/atom-core.php on line 4232